Sunday, February 19, 2012

Learning Style

My learning style after reviewing the session 5 post on learning styles would be a good mix of most of the styles. I am a very good verbal learner who can usually listen and then regurgitate information quickly, and remember it quite well with very little review. I do like learning sequentially overall so I can keep information organized in my head better and use groupings to make connections, somewhat similar to the global learning style. I am a decent active and visual learned, but tend to be more of a thinker than and actor when it comes to learning, which is why I enjoy classes in humanities, history, and political theory over those in math and sciences. I find that I also excel, when it comes to multiple intelligences, in interpersonal intelligence which comes from my constant lifelong interactions between people of different cultures and backgrounds. I also find that my verbal/linguistic intelligence level is quite high as I have very little trouble with writing, public speaking, or generally expressing my opinions and thoughts verbally. I don't consider myself a poet or a wordsmith of any type, but I generally grasp verbal and linguistic skills.

When it comes to teaching, I have very little experience in the classroom so when I do start my first job this coming August I hope to use a combination of all types of teaching styles to benefit every type of child in the classroom. Everyone learns differently, and creating a curriculum where every type of student can succeed and excel at some aspect is very important in an elementary school environment.

I thought this course worked well in relation to my learning style. I am good at reading, following instructions, and exploring things like twitter and RSS Readers on my own. This class gave you a good amount of instruction and freedom to chose one of many types of software and applications that most appeal to us in our current work situations.

As for focus, I think that in a classroom teachers should always focus on implementing many types of teaching methods so as to best reward all types of learning styles of the student in the classroom. Lessons should switch up there focus between group and alone work, lecture and active learning, and writing and artistic representation. It is impossible, like the assignment says, to incorporate every kind of teaching method to stiumulate every type of learning style in every lesson, but switching up teaching methods from lesson to lesson will have a similar effect without the chaos that would definitely occur if too many teaching styles were applied.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello I am here