Saturday, January 28, 2012

Participation in Social Networking

Social Networking allows social connections that may have lasted in person for only minutes of even seconds go a long way professionally or personally. Professionally speaking, social networking can be very beneficial in both getting hired originally and maintaining professional relationships that can promote the flow and exchange of ideas, especially in a subject as diverse and dynamic as education. Tools like linkedin are a great way to get your name out there initially and begin a job search. Tools like twitter, facebook, google+, and newer utilities like edmondo can be extremely beneficial for the transfer of ideas and resources that can help a teacher with integration of technology as well as teaching in general.

Personally, as someone that grew up overseas, I know that social networking has allowed me to keep up with my classmates that have graduated and spread throughout the globe attending university and just now starting to enter the job market. It is amazing being able to look at a simple web page and know what is going on in someones life that I may have not talked to for 1 or 2 years, and I really appreciate the opportunity to do that as do many of my friends that grew up with similar lifestyles. If I am ever traveling, I will often look at my facebook friends group to see if anyone lives where I am going at that moment to perhaps stay with them for a night or two to save money not staying in a hotel. I have some friends that specialize in computer troubleshooting, car troubles, or whatever else, that I can post a message on their profile and will receive help within days of hours. I know that students, having been one just 1 month ago, use these tools exceedingly as they become more and more useful and popular in communication and connection making. Social networking allows us another social sphere besides reality where we can present ourselves, our ideas, and our discoveries to distinct groups of contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello I am here